PARENT ENGAGEMENT POLICY
Parent Involvement Coordinator
The Parent Involvement Coordinator, who works with parents of students participating in Title I programs is Jennifer Dracos and may be contacted at 903-994-2260.
Cumby Independent School District Parental Engagement Policy
* * * * *
PART I. GENERAL EXPECTATIONS
The Cumby Independent School District agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
* The school district will put into operation programs, activities and procedures for the involvement of parents in all of its schools with Title I, Part A programs consistent with section 1118 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). These programs, activities and procedures will be planned and operated with meaningful consultation with parents of participating children.
* Consistent with section 1118, the school district will work with its schools to ensure that the required school-level parental involvement policies meet the requirements of section 1118(b) of the ESEA and include a school-parent compact consistent with section 1118(d) of the ESEA.
* The school district will incorporate this district wide parental involvement policy into its LEA plan developed under section 1112 of the ESEA.
* In carrying out the Title I, Part A parental involvement requirements (to the extent practicable) the school district and its schools will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children. In addition, the program will provide information and school reports required under section 1111 of the ESEA in an understandable and uniform format (to the extent practicable) in a language parents understand.
* If the LEA plan for Title I, Part A, developed under section 1112 of the ESEA, is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the school district will address any parent comments with the plan.
* The school district will involve the parents of children served in Title I, Part A schools in decisions about how the 1 percent of Title I, Part A funds reserved for parental involvement are spent and will ensure that no less than 95 percent of the one percent reserved goes directly to the schools.
* The school district will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement and expects that its Title I schools will carry out programs, activities and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
PART II. DESCRIPTION OF HOW DISTRICT WILL IMPLEMENT REQUIRED DISTRICT-WIDE PARENTAL ENGAGEMENT POLICY COMPONENTS
1. The Cumby Independent School District will take the following actions to involve parents in the joint development of its district-wide parental involvement plan under section 1112 of the ESEA:
* Representative members of the Cumby Independent School District Educational Improvement Council (EIC) will develop the district written parental involvement policy jointly with the principals of campuses that receive Title I funds.
2. The Cumby Independent School District will take the following actions to involve parents in the process of school review and improvement under section 1116 of the ESEA:
* Representative members of the Cumby Independent School District Educational Improvement Council jointly with the principals of campuses that receive Title I funds will review and improve the district written parental involvement policy in the spring prior to distribution of the policy to parents in the fall.
3. The Cumby Independent School District will provide the following necessary coordination, technical assistance, and other support to assist Title I, Part A schools in planning and implementing effective parental involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance:
* Provide training to administrators in the development of the written campus parental involvement policy;
* Provide technical assistance in the development of the campus written parental involvement policy;
* Provide funding (95% of the 1% reservation of Title I, Part A funds) to support the development and distribution of the campus written parental involvement policy in addition to parental involvement activities included in the written campus parental involvement policy and/or campus improvement plan.
4. The Cumby Independent School District will coordinate and integrate parental involvement strategies in Part A with parental involvement strategies under the following other programs:
* Where appropriate, the district will coordinate and integrate parental involvement strategies and opportunities at campuses which are linked to the following: preschool programs, special education programs, ESL/Bilingual programs, etc.
5. The Cumby Independent School District will take the following actions to conduct, with the involvement of parents, an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of this parental involvement policy in improving the quality of its Title I, Part A schools. The evaluation will include identifying barriers to greater participation by parents in parental involvement activities (with particular attention to parents who are economically disadvantaged, are disabled, have limited English proficiency, have limited literacy, or are of any racial or ethnic minority background). The school district will use the findings of the evaluation about its parental involvement policy and activities to design strategies for more effective parental involvement, and to revise, if necessary (and with the involvement of parents) its parental involvement policies.
* Cumby ISD will survey the parents of participating Title I, Part A schools to evaluate the effectiveness of the program including (but not limited to) parental involvement strategies and barriers to greater participation.
6. The Cumby Independent School District will build the schools’ and parents’ capacity for strong parental involvement, in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school involved, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement, through the following activities specifically described below:
A. The school district will, with the assistance of its Title I, Part A schools, provide assistance to parents of children served by the school district or school, as appropriate, in understanding topics such as the following, by undertaking the actions described in this paragraph –
* the State’s academic content standards,
* the State’s student academic achievement standards,
* the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
* the requirements of Part A,
* how to monitor their child’s progress, and
* how to work with educators.
B. With the assistance of its schools, the school district will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement, such as literacy training, and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement.
C. The school district will, with the assistance of its schools and parents, educate its teachers, principals and other staff, in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and schools.
D. The school district will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs and activities with Pre Kindergarten and conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers, that encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children.
E. The school district will take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent- programs, meetings, and other activities, is sent to the parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand.
PART III. DISCRETIONARY DISTRICT-WIDE PARENTAL ENGAGEMENT POLICY COMPONENTS
The Cumby Independent School District, in consultation with its parents, will build parents’ capacity for involvement in the school and school system to support their children’s academic achievement in the following discretionary activities listed under section 1118(e) of the ESEA, such as:
* involving parents in the development of training for teachers, principals, and other educators to improve the effectiveness of that training;
* providing necessary literacy training for parents from Title I, Part A funds, if the school district has exhausted all other reasonably available sources of funding for that training;
* training parents to enhance the involvement of other parents;
* in order to maximize parental involvement and participation in their children’s education, arranging school meetings at a variety of times, or conducting in-home conferences between teachers or other educators, who work directly with participating children, with parents who are unable to attend those conferences at school;
* adopting and implementing model approaches to improving parental involvement;
* providing other reasonable support for parental involvement activities under section 1118 as parents may request.
* * * * *
PART IV. ADOPTION
This Cumby Independent School District Parental Engagement Policy has been developed jointly with and agreed upon by parents of children participating in Title I, Part A program.
This policy was reviewed and revised and will be in effect for the period of one year. The school district will distribute this policy to all parents of participating Title I, Part A children on or before September 1 by way of the Student Handbook/Student Code of Conduct.